The Listen to Lawrence Letter: Will a pooled income trust pay for house expenses if the house is in an irrevocable trust?

February 6, 2023
January 26, 2023 • Volume 4 Issue 109
Dear Clients and Friends,
Another pooled trust question…read on


Will a pooled income trust pay for your house expenses (taxes, repairs, etc.) if the house already is in an irrevocable trust?


From past LISTEN TO LAWRENCE LETTERS, you will remember that many of our clients who are receiving Community Medicaid (for home care) protect their income by paying their otherwise unprotected income into a pooled trust. The pooled trust in turn can pay any bill which was for the benefit of the Medicaid recipient. The question then becomes, are the house expenses an obligation of the Medicaid recipient or the trust? The answer is that I prepare these Medicaid irrevocable trusts so that you remain liable to pay the taxes, repairs, insurance, etc., and therefore the pooled trust can pay these expenses.

Cool right?

I hope this helps! Please forward this email to your friends and relatives to share these informative answers to some very commonly asked questions.

And, if anyone you know would like to receive this

Listen to Lawrence Letter, just have them email me at and I’ll add them to the list!


As always, please send me your questions. If you are thinking about it, others are probably too, so my answers will no doubt help you and many others.

Let’s stay connected.

Stay safe!

Until next time...peace, health and happiness. Lawrence Eric Davidow