How It Works
1050 Old Nichols Road
Islandia, NY 11749
An Islandia Attorney Can Help You Plan for Your Financial and Medical Future
One of the most responsible and valuable decisions you can make concerning the future stability of your family is to create an estate plan. When a person passes without a last will and testament, generally just referred to as a “will”, the New York Surrogate Court may decide what happens to their property and where it goes after they pass.
With an effective estate plan, you can determine how your assets are distributed upon your passing. You can also create instruments known as trusts that provide enhanced benefits like avoiding probate, reducing taxes, and asset protection (including from Medicaid). For help with these or any other estate planning needs, contact an Islandia attorney from Davidow, Davidow, Siegel & Stern.
Our Areas of Practice and Legal Expertise
At Davidow, Davidow, Siegel & Stern our focus is on helping our clients create an individualized plan that works for their needs and goals. There is complete and total transparency when it comes to our fees. Many estate planning documents and packages have fixed fees. You will know your fees before we begin any work.
Estate planning is concerned with determining how your assets will be distributed when you pass away. By utilizing wills and related documents, such as trusts, you can determine how your assets will be handled while you are alive and when you pass away.
Estate planning services include:
- Will Drafting – we will help you create a full inventory of your assets, then create a legally binding will so that there is no confusion as to where your property goes upon your death (thereby keeping the decision-making power out of the hands of the court)
- Creation of Trusts (including revocable and irrevocable trusts) – a trust is a legal instrument in which you can place specific property such as an investment portfolio or a lake house. It allows you to assign rights to the assets in the trust to whomever you please while maintaining some control over modification or revocation of the trust
- Specific-Purpose Trusts- these trusts include special needs trusts and trusts to protect the rights of minor children or perhaps older children who have problems with drugs, alcohol, divorce or general irresponsibility.
- Probate and Estate Administration – provides support and management during the process of executing your last wishes
The primary purpose of elder law is to plan for incapacity or deal with it when it comes. Several documents that we’ll create during the estate planning process will interrelate with elder law.
Common documents we’ll help you create through our elder law services include:
- Powers of Attorney – when you are unable to make legally binding financial and personal decisions for yourself, a power of attorney assigns this power to a person you have designated, such as a family member, trusted friend, or even your attorney
- Health Care Proxies and Living Wills – these documents are concerned with medical decisions such as receiving life-sustaining treatment, as well as the assignment of the power to make these decisions to someone else if you are incapacitated. A health care proxy appoints the person to carry out your wishes. A living will provides guidance for the person appointed by spelling out end-of-life instructions.
We provide support for your business in all facets, including:
- Start-up and partnership agreements
- Contract drafting and negotiation
- Dispute resolution and negotiation
- Real estate support, including representation and negotiation during purchases, sales, and leases
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Business succession planning
Whatever the size of your business and your legal needs, an Islandia attorney from Davidow, Davidow, Siegel & Stern can help.
Connect with an Islandia Lawyer to Learn How We Can Help You Plan for Your Future
The sooner you have a solid estate plan in place, the sooner you can rest assured that your wishes will be honored when you pass away or in the event you are incapacitated and cannot make important decisions concerning your finances or medical treatment.
There are a variety of options we can work with you on to help create an estate plan that reinforces your wishes. Whether you need to create a last will and testament or trust, or if you have a will or trust that you’d like to modify, we can help.
13235 Main Road
Mattituck, NY 11952
A Mattituck Attorney Can Support Your Business and Your Elder and Estate Law Needs
There are many times in life where having the advantage of experienced legal guidance can provide you with significant and lasting benefits. These areas include running your business, protecting your assets, managing your estate upon your passing, and collecting the benefits that you are entitled to receive.
With a focus on elder law, estate planning and business law, the Mattituck attorneys from Davidow, Davidow, Siegel & Stern are standing by to provide you the legal guidance you need to make informed and advantageous decisions. Read on to learn some key information about how a Mattituck lawyer from our firm can help you realize your goals in business, estate planning, and Medicaid.
The Practice Areas of Mattituck Attorneys Davidow, Davidow, Siegel & Stern
The experienced Mattituck attorneys from Davidow, Davidow, Siegel & Stern have decades of combined experience in several specific areas of law. Additionally, we have represented many clients in Mattituck over the years, and we know the procedure and preferences of your local community.
The potential of a lawyer helping you achieve your objectives is best determined by whether they have done so successfully for other clients in the past. You do not want an attorney on the early end of the learning curve representing you, as you could be one of the mistakes from which they learn. With an experienced Mattituck attorney by your side, you’ll experience the best outcome in the following areas.
Estate Planning & Elder Law
Estate planning and elder law are two closely interrelated areas of legal practice, as they are both concerned with creating a plan for your assets. The central document in most estate plans is the last will and testament, generally just referred to as a “will”. During the process of creating your will, a complete and comprehensive inventory of your assets will be created. We will then help you create legally binding, and enforceable, documents that will enable you to determine where your assets go upon your passing away.
Without a will, the Courts of New York may have the power to decide where your property goes. With a valid will, your wishes for the distribution of your belongings will be honored. The courts will not be invited into the personal affairs of your family and given power over important decisions. If you have minor children or family members with special needs, establishing a support trust or special needs trust will also protect your wishes in terms of their care.
Elder law is also concerned with honoring your wishes, specifically when you are incapacitated or incapable of legally making decisions on your own. The main documents we’ll help you create in our elder law practice are trusts, a power of attorney and an advanced medical directive. Through the creation of elder law documents, your wishes are recorded into legally binding documents that will be honored, even if you become legally incapacitated.
A power of attorney assigns the power to make legally binding decisions about your finances and other areas of life to a person of your choosing, including a family member, friend, or personal representative such as an accountant or an attorney. An advanced medical directive allows you to express your preferences concerning certain medical treatments in the event you are unable to make the choice yourself when the time comes.
Whether you are in the process of forming an organization or have been running your business for years, experienced legal advocacy from a Mattituck attorney will help to support the profitability and security of your business.
We offer the following legal services for businesses in Mattituck, Suffolk County, and beyond:
- Business formation counseling
- Partnership and/or shareholder agreement drafting
- Real-estate negotiations for purchases, sales, and leases
- Operation contract drafting, including transactional drafting and employee contracts
- Dispute negotiation and resolution
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Business succession planning
With an experienced Mattituck business lawyer from Davidow, Davidow, Siegel & Stern you will be supported in your operations whatever your needs may be.
Connect with an Experienced Mattituck Attorney to Help With Your Legal Counseling Needs
If you require estate planning services, elder law planning, or business advice, a Mattituck attorney can help. When you contact one of the experienced lawyers from Davidow, Davidow, Siegel & Stern, we will be by your side providing the guidance you need to make the best possible decisions and achieve ideal outcomes. Reach us by phone at (631) 234-3030, or make an appointment on this website and learn how we can help accomplish all your estate planning needs.